[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Office » News/Articles/Blogs » Uichico welcomes return stint in finals
Uichico welcomes return stint in finals
MagicMan13Date: Tuesday, 2011-04-26, 6:34 AM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
TRUST a veteran to make the big plays.

In the case of Ginebra, not one but practically all of its seasoned players showed up as the Kings beat Smart-Gilas 92-85 last Sunday to land a finals seat in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup at the Araneta Coliseum.

Ronald Tubid and Willie Miller took turns leading Ginebra’s second half surge, enabling the crowd favorite to buck Nate Brumfield’s low-scoring night and wrap up the best-of-five semifinals duel 3-1.

Aside from harassing Nationals star Chris Tiu no end, Tubid exploded for 17 of his team-high 22 points in the second half while Miller strung up 10 of his 11 points in the fourth period as the Kings charged back from a 36-51 third quarter-deficit and posted a 15-point lead.

Ginebra advanced to the best-of-seven championship series, where powerhouse Talk N Text awaits. The Tropang Texters grabbed the first finals seat after completing a three-game sweep of Air21 in their own semis duel last Wednesday.

"It’s nice to be back in the championships after two or three years," said a visibly relieved Kings coach Jong Uichico, who steered the team to its 19th finals stint and first since the 2009 Fiesta, when it lost to sister team San Miguel Beer in seven games.

The loss, coming on the heels of a 100-88 win in Game 3 also last Wednesday, relegated Gilas to third place in the tournament where it geared up for coming international events, among them next month’s FIBA-Asia Champions Cup and September’s FIBA-Asia tilt in China.

Uichico acknowledged the Nationals have what it takes to pull the rug from under the favored teams in the latter tourney, the region’s qualifying event for next year’s London Olympics.

"I think they’re ready," offered the mentor, who coached the RP Team in the 2004 Busan Asian Games. "Coach (Rajko) Toroman has put in a good system. Everything is there. The system is suited for international competitions.

"I think they have a shot. I’m not sure how great a shot. Whenever you go there you always have a shot."

Gilas failed to land the big shots at the most opportune time, unlike Ginebra. But Uichico said the physical game Toroman has instituted and the PBA stint as a whole could serve the Nationals in good stead.

"If they do not play that way they would not be successful in the international (scene). Ganu’n lang talaga," he said. "Also, in the PBA the more you play together the more cohesive you will become. Just getting to know each other, even not winning but just playing together. I think they’ve got the right chemistry going."

Not the kind of seasoning Ginebra’s players showed. Rudy Hatfield chipped in 16 points and eight rebounds, Mark Caguioa had 15 points and seven and even Mike Cortez and Yancy de Ocampo made significant contributions in bucking the mere nine-point output by Brumfield.

"In fact I’d like him to score 45 points," said Uichico, only half-joking. "It’s just the way the game is… if he thinks the locals are doing well, easier job for him if the locals are doing well. If not, he can score."

Brumfield did have seven rebounds and two assists, but felt no need to go to the basket more. He took just 10 shots while concentrating more on defense.

Noli Cortez, Business Malaya Insight

Forum » Office » News/Articles/Blogs » Uichico welcomes return stint in finals
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024

Free web hostinguCoz