Friday, 2024-05-17, 1:45 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS
My site
Main | Overachieving Air21 looks for better things ahead - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Office » News/Articles/Blogs » Overachieving Air21 looks for better things ahead
Overachieving Air21 looks for better things ahead
MagicMan13Date: Tuesday, 2011-04-26, 6:25 AM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators

MANILA—Air21's eyebrow raising move proved to be a blessing in disguise after all.

The Express got outclassed by the Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters in the semis but it didn't keep coach Bong Ramos from keeping his head held high.

“To me, we overachieved,” said the effervescent Ramos, who took over the coaching reins for Air21 this conference.

The Express were a blink away from eliminations after a miserable 1-4 start in the PBA Commissioner’s cup as they struggled to shake off nagging chemistry problems which was an offshoot of a major overhaul of their lineup.

But that jarring seven-player trade expected to be the team's downfall turned out to be the denouement with Dondon Hontiveros, Danny Seigle, Dorian Pena and Paul Artadi in tow.

But even with consistent showing on court from Hontiveros, Pena and a rejuvenated Seigle—it wasn’t just the numbers that talked.

“Grabe yung dinala nila samin,” marveled Ramos. “The character: the winning character, playoff character, and the championship character.”

“I thought before that the trade was too late, but I was wrong,” Ramos added.

But for Hontiveros, whose nearly impeccable shooting as of late repeatedly lit up the coliseum and sparked momentum within the Express, the motivation came in both ways.

“Instead of us carrying them, they made us look good by stepping up and we were able to play our game,” he said.

Several names indeed cropped out Air21’s grueling campaign that was nothing but a test of character, playing eight all-important games cramped in 17 days.

Guards of different generation, Josh Urbiztondo and Wynne Arboleda burned the stat sheet several times, scorching from downtown when the Express needed saving.

And no one can discount import Alpha Bangura's immense contribution, putting up solid numbers day in and day out, sometimes singlehandedly carrying the squad on his shoulders.

But the improbable run of the weary Air21 came to a full halt when they rammed against the rampaging Talk N Text, who are not one to give up on its bid for a grand slam.

"They're really strong. It's really hard to defeat Talk N Text unless we're in a great shape," said Ramos.

But it's not like the Express didn't try—they trailed, they came back and they even led---in the end though, the fancied Texters were just too much too handle.

“I thought we still have (the energy). But we were already running on fumes,” said Hontiveros.

But even as the door to glory closed on them for yet another season, a beaming Ramos came out of the locker room Wednesday night.

“Nobody gave us a second look,” Ramos said. “I just congratulated them and thanked them for bringing me here.”

And when talking about Air21's future, "of course, you think of a brighter future."

Celest Flores, Inquirer.net

Forum » Office » News/Articles/Blogs » Overachieving Air21 looks for better things ahead
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024

Free web hostinguCoz